Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Saint Patrick's Day

Some Green Flowers to brighten my day!
Ashley and Darin sporting their green clothes.
The kids enjoy their "Lucky Charms". They saved the shamrocks until last! Green milk is a bonus!



Today I am thankful for Saint Patrick. He was taken, by Irish raiders, from his British home when he was 16 years old. He worked as a slave for many years. His hardships drew him closer to God. His faith increased. After 6 years of slavery, he escaped and made a long journey back home. God gave him a vision to return to pagan Ireland. After many setbacks and religious training, Patrick set forth to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ to the people of Ireland. God converted many to Christianity and planted churches. He served Christ until he died around A.D. 461

I think of my grandmother, who loved the Lord and loved others deeply. She served until the end of her life as well. She is worshipping God in heaven with Saint Patrick. What a legacy. My grandmother passed away on St. Patrick's Day 4 years ago.

I was able to share the meaning of St. Patrick's Day with my children this morning before school. It is not about leprechauns and the pot of gold...as my daughter asked. I hope they can proudly proclaim why we celebrate. Irish or not!

No comments: