Friday, July 2, 2010

Hold Loosely....

After coming back from a peaceful, wonderful time away, it felt like all the forces of nature were against me. It made me want to get in the van and drive back to my serene scenes, the smells of fresh pine and birch trees and the blue lake waters.

I admit that I do care very dearly about our lawn. We spent the big bucks to buy sod, and I attempt to save it from the weeds and creatures. I think God is testing my patience and my pride in my yard.

Jeff discovered a hole by the side of our house. Some creature was searching and digging. What ever it was seems to have left, of course, leaving a bare patch of dirt. The Walnut tree in our neighbors yard is full and dropping it's produce all over. Maybe I can figure out how to eat them??? The Sumac tree, from our other neighbor, continuously tries to replant everywhere in the corner of our yard. How about some new landscaping... CEMENT?!?

And then, I discover that the Earwig bugs are living in our turtle sandbox. Earwigs, I call them pincher bugs, are actually harmless. I just think they can attack with their frontal pinching legs. They are nocturnal. They eat plants and insects. They like cool,dark places to hide. So, I decide to clean out the sandbox. Well, I leave the base to dry a little too long on the yard... and yes, the sun fries the ends of our lucious green grass... So, now I am watering this circular dry spot. This one is my doing...so it bugs me even more.

To top it all off, we have yet another bat in our garage. The first one came 3-4 years ago. It finally made it into our house in May and we called Animal Control to dispose of it. They did. They put the bat down because it could have rabies. So, I knew it was another bat. He must have told his friends that we have a great space to hang out. Well, we are going to try some fly paper strips and see if we can't catch us some bat! I will keep you posted.

So, I have been praying hard lately and trying to figure out, "Why?" I am learning patience. I am learning that in light of eternity it is nothing compared to the glory awaiting me. I am learning not to hold tightly to the things of this world. I am learning that my whole house could have been destroyed with the severe storms that passed through our area last week. I have much to be thankful for.

PS.. The one last yard story. We find out that Knology is putting in cables for TV. It means that a part of our back yard will be dug up!!! We don't even have cable. The flyer they sent out about this got blown away... I have a call in and no calls back yet... The tests keep coming...

BATS, Animals, walnuts, Earwigs, Sumac, cables... oh my!

No comments: