I am a detailed and organized person. I have my plans. Well, Darin requested an ice cream cake for his birthday. I was thrilled. I love that choice. I got started on it the day before, as it is a 3 step process. I even made my own frosting to decorate with. Darin helped sprinkle chocolate chips on and all. It was looking great. We could taste it. Then, about 45 min before the party, Jeff opens up the freezer and I hear a loud crash... I turn to look, and the ice cream cake, in a glass pan, is in a vertical array of shattered glass on the kitchen floor. From the surface the cake looked great... But as I moved out of my frozen, shocked state I could see glass every where. I didn't know what to do first..so naturally I cried. My masterpiece, my son's birthday cake ruined... I cried as I cleaned up the disaster. I kept stepping on glass or touching it... cutting myself. My husband said nothing. The birthday boy was not too disappointed. I didn't know why. He sort of thought it was funny that I was bawling my eyes out. What now??? I tried to choke down the nice supper of steak on the grill, potatoes and salad. We got a few ideas for plan B and Jeff was on his way. He came back with a new ice cream cake.. even better... from a favorite ice cream place. They even put his name on it!! All was well... The sadness and frustration soon melted as we continued celebrating Darin turning 10! The past is the past... time to move forward...
Tuesday, June 28, 2011
That's the Way the Cake Crumbles....
I am a detailed and organized person. I have my plans. Well, Darin requested an ice cream cake for his birthday. I was thrilled. I love that choice. I got started on it the day before, as it is a 3 step process. I even made my own frosting to decorate with. Darin helped sprinkle chocolate chips on and all. It was looking great. We could taste it. Then, about 45 min before the party, Jeff opens up the freezer and I hear a loud crash... I turn to look, and the ice cream cake, in a glass pan, is in a vertical array of shattered glass on the kitchen floor. From the surface the cake looked great... But as I moved out of my frozen, shocked state I could see glass every where. I didn't know what to do first..so naturally I cried. My masterpiece, my son's birthday cake ruined... I cried as I cleaned up the disaster. I kept stepping on glass or touching it... cutting myself. My husband said nothing. The birthday boy was not too disappointed. I didn't know why. He sort of thought it was funny that I was bawling my eyes out. What now??? I tried to choke down the nice supper of steak on the grill, potatoes and salad. We got a few ideas for plan B and Jeff was on his way. He came back with a new ice cream cake.. even better... from a favorite ice cream place. They even put his name on it!! All was well... The sadness and frustration soon melted as we continued celebrating Darin turning 10! The past is the past... time to move forward...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment