Friday, July 25, 2014

Thankful Hearts!




 
God calls us to be thankful in all circumstances.  A thankful heart draws us closer to God.  My husband and I even thought of thankful things about the traumatic day, my dad died.  God provided, gave us strength and protected us.  One of my sisters mentioned doing acts of kindness to remember dad.  Not long after she told me this idea, God immediately placed it upon my heart who he wanted me to bless.  So Thursday, July 24th, we set out with gifts of food and thank you cards.  We had a connection with a firefighter in the community.  So, we drove our treats of popcorn, pretzels, peanuts and peanut m&m's to the station.  This fire station was located near a small manmade lake.  It was so fitting and peaceful.  We made the connection and shared the story of my dad with them.  It was very healing.  We could also thank them for keeping our community safe. We were thankful for all the emergency responders who came to our aid last year.  Then it was on to the local pool.  Since my dad was a lifeguard (in his younger years) and he died while swimming, I wanted to bless the lifeguards.  We brought them cookies and of course...LIFESAVERS!  I was sharing my story with one worker and then the head gal came over.  She wanted to listen and hear about my dad.  She was so encouraging.  She knew what I was feeling when my dad went under water and I couldn't do anything.  She told me that I was sharing part of my dad with her.  She had even heard the story on the news last year--- and now she knew the connection.  She told my daughter to follow my example.  She was blessed. I was blessed.  She ran out and hugged me before leaving.                    God is good.   Having a thankful heart is such a blessing.

No comments: