Wednesday, January 26, 2011

George Washington

I have spent the last month getting to know a great man of faith, and the father of our country... George Washington's Sacred Fire. The book seemed like a daunting task... 700 plus pages. I was determined to get as much read as I could..which included some skimming. There is a waiting list for this book, so my deadline was nearly 30 days.

I was enlightened by so many things... so many things that my history class did not include. For instance:

God had great plans and protection for George Washington.

He was a great man of God and military leader. God protected him many times from death!

He started the chaplains in the military. He also had his men fast, pray and read the Bible.

The 1st Continental Congress began with prayer.

Separation of State and Religion was taken to the extreme and was not meant to be separate at all.

Martha Washington said this, while in the presidency...

"'I am still determined to be cheerful and happy in whatever situation I may be, for I have also learnt from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends upon our dispositions, not upon our circumstances.'"
(Very similar to the apostle Paul's words)

I highly recommend this book... and don't worry about all the pages... simply soak in as much as you can...

No comments: