Thursday, September 19, 2013

Time

"Behold, you have made my days a few handbreadths, and my lifetime is as nothing before you. Surely all mankind stand as a mere breath! Selah." Psalm 39:5 I understand, better than ever before, the brevity of this life. One minute we were making plans for the sunny, summer afternoon of our final day of vacation; and minutes later, we were seeing my dad take his final breath. We are but a breath... On vacation, we don't watch the time or count the minutes to our next scheduled event. On the day of my dad's death, time disappeared. I couldn't recall hours of time spent in shock and great grief. Our happy times of the previous days quickly faded. Now, I try to remember every time with my dad leading up to that moment...what he said, what games we played, what he was wearing.... "We humans make plans, but the Lord has the final word. We make our decisions, but the Lord alone determines what happens." Proverbs 16:1,33. God is God of the NOW. We are to live in the NOW, because that is what we are given. The future is uncertain. We need to trust God and give him complete control of our time. There is no need to spend our time in worry or fear. God loves us and will lead us along the right paths. He knew the paths and plans for dad. Dad recently retired, settled his accounts, ordered his passport to travel,was enjoying vacation with his family... but God alone determined what happened July 24, 2013. I desire to number my days and use them wisely! I am opening my hands to God each day; for my time is in HIS hands. The same hands that carried my father from this life to glorious eternity. "From life's first cry to final breath. Jesus commands my destiny. No power of hell, no scheme of man, can ever pluck me from His hand; till He returns or calls me home, here in the power of Christ I'll stand." (In Christ Alone)

No comments: